Overview of Genetic Counselling (1 day workshop)
23rd January 2016
The full day course covered:
What is Genetic Counselling?
– Qualications And Training Needed to Work as a Genetic Counsellor in the UK and Reciprocity of Registration within the Genetic Counselling Profession
– Core Theoretical Frameworks that Guide Practice
– Ethical Principles that Guide Practice
– Counselling Supervision
The Work of a Genetic Counsellor
– The Multidisciplinary Approach to Care
– The Types of Patients Genetic Counselors See on their Own
– The Specialist Clinics that Genetic Counsellors Run
How Can Genomics be Used in the Clinic?
– Who Can Receive Sequencing in a Clinical Setting
– The Impact of Genomics on Counselling Practice
Genomics and Ethics
– What to Do with Incidental Findings from Sequencing Studies
– What Information Do People Want to Know?
Case Study 1: Exploring a Diagnosis for Developmental Disorders and the Counselling Issues Case Study 2: Pre Symptomatic Testing in Huntington’s Disease and Counselling Issues
Case Study 3: Pre-Natal Testing and PGD and Counselling Issues
Case Study 4: Genetic Counselling and Disability (Using Deafness as an Example)